Are You Hanging Holiday Lights This Year? Here Are Some Great Tips!
The holiday season has arrived and with this, the time has come to dig out the tangled holiday lights from the dusty attic and turn the exterior of your home into a blinking, twinkling display of holiday cheer. While this job can sometimes be challenging, there are a few tips provided by bobvila.com to help homeowners with the task of transforming their home into a wondrous holiday display.
TIPS FOR HANGING HOLIDAY LIGHTS
- Create a Master Plan: Taka a look at your home from the street and devise an overall plan. Take into consideration eaves, pillars, posts, windows and doors. Look at bushes, trees and paths. All of these can be perfect locations for adding lights.
- Find Balance: Most people focus mainly on the roofline when hanging holiday lights, forgetting about balancing it with lights below!
- Measure: Try to get an accurate measurement of how many lights you will need. One way to determine lighting for trees is to multiply the height times the width, then double that figure to get its square footage.
- Assess: Test your lights before it is time to hang them. Check that lights and cords are in good repair and are rated for outdoor use. Check manufacturer recommendations to determine the number of lights you can safely string together. Never connect different types of lights on the same circuit or outlet.
- Plastic Clips: Use plastic clips instead of hammer and nails to secure lights to roofs and walls.
- Safety: Work with a partner when hanging lights. If using an extension ladder, place it firmly on flat ground, extend it well above the eaves, and lean it at a safe angle for climbing.
Hanging outdoor lights can be a daunting task that many dread from year to year. Planning ahead and following these tips will help simplify your holiday decorating and leave more time to enjoy festivities!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM SERVPRO OF BOONE COUNTY!!