Christmas Trees and mold
When decorating for the holidays, most people do not consider that their live Christmas tree could be a source of mold in their home. Mold thrives in moist environments. Live Christmas trees are usually cut far in advance of the Christmas holiday and then stored in a moist environment in order to keep them fresh. And once the tree is brought into the home, it is placed in a container of stagnant water. This container of water in addition to the moist tree trunk is the perfect condition to encourage mold growth.
According to webmd.com, a study was done measuring the relationship between mold growth on live Christmas trees and poor indoor air quality. Mold count measurements were taken daily for a two week period and showed that mold levels escalated as time progressed.
Unfortunately, mold spores can be difficult to destroy and the best way to reduce the problem is to take preventative measures. An artificial Christmas tree might be a better option. They do not harbor moisture and are even less expensive in the long run. But if a live Christmas tree is a must, shake as much debris as possible out of the tree before bringing it into the home and then only keep it in the home for a few days.
SERVPRO provides professional mold remediation if you find an issue in your home. Our goal is to provide excellent customer service and we are available 24 hours a day...even on holidays!
Have a very happy holiday season!